Sunday, July 27, 2008

One among us!!!

I have been posting a lot of my funny experiences on Sundays. Well, today I thought like posting one of my bad experiences, just for a change.
My college days were fun and like all I love to go back to my college days if, ever, I get a chance. I used to visit my friends house occasionally with my other friends, rarely do I go alone. People are different, right? So, in each and every house, the reception that we got were different. I always try to visit with some of my friends, and avoid going alone, but sometimes you just can't. One of such incident occurred sometime ago.
One of my friend's computer had some problem and I was a bit good in checking these things, so he told me to go to his house and help him out. Let me give a bit of introduction about him. He is a bit religious, but was on good terms with me. I don't want to point out which religion, but he was in a different religion than me and in our college, there were only a few guys in his religion. They always tend to be together saying we are 'not one among them'. They said it very casually and we, the guys not among them [we are all from various other religions], thought they were kidding. They were really in good terms with the rest of us. So, since he requested me to go to his house, I decided to go.
I went to the guy's house and I got a cold reception. I didn't care 'coz I've been to many of my friends' home and I know parents are different, some are harsh, some are friendly and yet some tend to avoid us. And I just took it that way. Well, his parents, just for the sake of saying something, asked me something and I went to his room and checked the computer and its RAM had a problem. I stayed there for a while, we talked about the college matters and everything and I left later. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, right? It happened when I went again to his house with one of my other friend who's in his religion.
Well, their behavior was like I didn't even exist there. The parents who talked very little to me, talked a lot to him in front of me and they didn't even said a single thing to me. I felt really bad. I didn't said anything, all I wanted was to go. But, you simply cannot go, right? So, I just waited there for the time to arrive and when the time came to leave, they invited the other guy to stay at their house and persuaded a lot. He said he'll come sometime later and so, finally it was over. I couldn't take it out of my mind even now. I never went to the same place again and I don't know whether I will go to any one's house who is of that religion 'coz I have never experienced these type of behaviour from people from any other religion. The "you are not one among us" quote, just 'coz we are from a different religion, doesn't make sense to me!! Aren't we all human? Does it make some group of people special? just 'coz someone is from some religion?

21 comments:

  1. its sad...i am fuming here...i have been only to a couple of my frnds places and well i am sort of used to the selective eye from a lot of ppl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's bad.Such narrow mindedness is what hinders the growth of our country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. vishesh,

    Yah, I am now used to it too, but when we experience it for the first time, it's a bit hard, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sameera,

    Yes, it is and even growth of the same people who behaves like that

    ReplyDelete
  5. its really a very bad experience. I know how it feels coz I too have gone thru such experiences.
    It taunts us fo a very long time. wat to do some people r like tat what to do.
    I really feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes...u get over it..and learn to ignore them too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its indeed a sad experience.. but ofcouse.. we should learn something out of this.. We should never treat someone of other religion like this..

    All i can say is that they are narrow minded.. hopefully, their next generationd doesnt adapt this behaviour..

    ReplyDelete
  8. vishesh,

    Yes, life has to move on, that's the way it should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanamoi,

    Yah, at least we could hope that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its not only with religion dear, its in difference of provinces, difference of language, difference of appearance, anything and everything. One such incident is: - I was invited to a party of brahmins where a group asked me as to which brahmin I was. I said brahmin thats it. They said no its not it. We need to know whether you are from the upper section of the brahmins or the lower one. I thought I should bang my head to an electric pole nearby. I remembered Einstein and his e=mc2...huh.........!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can imagine how it would have been to be at a place as unwanted. Ridiculous!! But on the other hand, you had a good lesson and experiences are what makes a right human. Take it positive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. righteo Aneesh u r spot on!


    **The "you are not one among us" quote

    I get so annoyed by ppl who use that quote. Bascially I'd tell em

    'you're not one of us, cos ur an idiot'

    and move on lol!


    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i know... some people can be real assholes!! i've come across such people too...

    ReplyDelete
  14. its sad...i don know wt to say cuz i also had a friend who belonged to a minority...but we were welcomed in her house as if we were there own...

    uncle n aunty used to feed us and pamper us like they did thr own daughter. And being a minority they were even more respectful of my parents and my family. The first time uncle came to my house to pick my firnd, it was such a touching experience.

    I wish everyone wud be like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. MI,

    Haha, E=mc2? Interesting!!!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. saranya,

    Yah, being optimistic??
    That's the way it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  17. keshi,

    ***Bascially I'd tell em
    'you're not one of us, cos ur an idiot'

    To religious fanatics, you cannot simply say that, the next day they may put a bomb under your seat!! LOL who knows what will happen?

    ReplyDelete
  18. divkiran,

    Yah, luckiest are those who get a friend and a family like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know...but who's gonna even talk to religious fanatics? lol!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete

So, Tell me :)